Thursday, January 14, 2010

BAKE SALE: FOR HAITI.


As I walked in to Mr. Jacobs' class, hoping he'd accept my note of absence explaining that i was sick yesterday (which he proceeded to ask me if i was "sick in the head"), I sat down in my seat, smack dab in the middle of the room, and waited to hear the next lesson he had planned for us. My class and I tend to crack massive amounts of jokes, loud enough for the Pre-calculus class to hear next door. People wonder what could be so funny about being trapped in a classroom with Mr. Jacobs, and I tell them they just wouldn't understand.

People hate Mr. Jacobs. He kicks people out for sometimes a total of 45 minutes if they're late by even 60 seconds. He sometimes assigns us tons of work, without checking it the next day. He also assigns huge projects that he decides should be due the day after he assigns them without telling anyone.

Once you move past that, he's really not that bad.

Today, he brought up the earthquake in Haiti. I was surprised when he began talking about a relief effort we should all participate in. I mean, Mr. Jacobs? The man everyone is petrified of with an idea like that? I don't know if I was the only one shocked, but I'm sure I wasn't. He devised a plan that both A and B-Band classes would compete in: to see which class would raise the most money (Not our parents money, OUR money). And even more surprisingly, he said if B-Band raised say, $200 dollars, he would put in $200 dollars as well. I have to say, in times like these, where money is tight, and while being a teacher doesn't exactly provide enough money to be rolling around in the Benjamins, I thought that this was pretty generous. Also, I respect him a lot more now considering he is the only teacher of mine doing something like this. Go Mr. Jacobs!

Yes, donating money isn't the solution to everything, and doesn't automatically make you anyone good person, but it is nevertheless, a kind gesture.

I'm raising money this week by running a bake sale! It will be on Wednesday, January 20th 2010. All the money will go to Doctors Without Borders, an organization you can read more about here: https://donate.doctorswithoutborders.org/SSLPage.aspx?pid=197&hbc=1&source=ADR1001E1D01

No comments:

Post a Comment