Wednesday, January 20, 2010

John Mayer, Again.



So I have now listened to all of John Mayer's new album titled Battle Studies. I've decided that it is a step down from his last two albums, Continuum, which was beyond words, and Where the Light Is: Live In Los Angeles, where he demonstrated his talents live in on stage prove to be even better than his work in the studio.
Although his new album wasn't up to par with the last two, it is still enjoyable to listen to, and has a handful of great songs like Half of My Heart, Edge of Desire, Assassin, and my personal favorite, Heartbreak Warfare. I think some of it was too poppy for my taste. He apparently agreed, quoting much of what i said above, in an article I can't find at the moment.

In other news, Mr. Mayer was featured in Rolling Stone Magazine which includes a to-die-for front page cover photograph with the caption that reads- John Mayer: Dirty Mind, Lonely Heart. I researched a bit about some of the highlights of his interview and thehuffingtonpost quotes, "John Mayer on Jennifer Aniston, Tiger Woods, and Masterbating." I cogitated for a minute to wonder if I really wanted to read more about the oddity of this interview (we all know I did).

John Mayer on Masterbation and Tiger Woods: I have masturbated myself out of serious problems in my life. The phone doesn't pick up because I'm masturbating. And I have excused myself at the oddest times so as to not make mistakes. If Tiger Woods only knew when to jerk off. It has a true market value, like gold bullion. First of all, I don't jerk off because I'm horny. I'm sort of half-chick. It's like District 9. I can fire alien weapons. I can insert a tampon. No, I do it because I want to take a brain bath. It's like a hot whirlpool for my brain, in a brain space that is 100 percent agreeable with itself."
My reaction: A somewhat acceptable answer, answered with veracity (obviously...) And yet, why talk about masterbating? Is it of that much importance in your life? I would hope not.

On Jennifer Aniston: I'm the asshole. I burned the American flag. I basically murdered an ideal. I've never really gotten over it. It was one of the worst times of my life. I have this weird feeling, a pride thing, for the people I've had relationships with. What would I be saying to Jen, who I think is fucking fantastic, if I said to her, 'I don't dislike you. In fact, I like you extremely well. But I have to back out of this because it doesn't arc over the horizon. This is not where I see myself for the rest of my life, this is not my ideal destiny.'
My Reaction: In a nutshell, sweet and once again, honest.

Thoughts on Bi-Sexuality: I don't care about anything other than energy. That's why people think, 'Is he bi? Is he that?' I've never slept with a man. But I get it. I've seen pictures of men on the Internet that are sexier than pictures of most women.
My Reaction: The first sentence rocks.
What he's looking for in a Woman: Aren't we talking about a matrix of a couple of different things here? Like, you need to have them be able to go toe-to-toe with you intellectually. But don't they also have to have a vagina you could pitch a tent on and just camp out on for, like, a weekend? Doesn't that have to be there, too? The Joshua Tree of vaginas? ...I'll be happy when I close out this life-partner thing. Think of how much mental capacity I'm using to meet the right person so I can stop giving a fuck about it."
My reaction: I feel him on the intellect part, but he loses me a bit when he starts with the Vaginas. I get it, but damn John! What a strange analogy. The last part is real though, and that's what I like about him.

Due to his unfiltered streams of consciousness he says some very, very revealing things about his life. Some have said, "John Mayer you have become repulsive in this article." I have to give him credit for his honesty, although some of the interview freaks me out, and I will always ask the question "Jennifer Aniston, really?" But somehow, my love for him has only grown, despite of some of the ridiculousness of it.

He himself even "tweeted": Just read my Rolling Stone cover article. I'm still not sure if I would want to hang out with me.
And then 24 minutes later posted: After 30 minutes of twirling my hair into a knot, I say "fuck it." You can't go wrong if you tell the truth.
YEAH BRO.

My obsession will continue and I'm running out tomorrow and getting this magazine asap, as the photos will be a new addition to my room. No I'm not a groupie, as Penny Lane said in Almost Famous (something everyone should see) "We are not Groupies. Groupies sleep with rockstars because they want to be near someone famous. We are here because of the music, we inspire the music. We are Band Aids."




No comments:

Post a Comment